The following audio may be useful for people in local NY municpalities for learning about the opportunity of using local zoning laws to regulate gas drilling activities.
Local NY municipalities MUST do this regulation if any regulation is to occur.
These gathering lines are typically low pressure pipelines less than 125 psi usually connecting several well sites together, and are NOT regulated by the DEC, the PSC, or the DPS, nor do these lines have to be oderized.
- http://changetheframe.com/audio/four county fracking forum-processed.mp3
Local municipalities can regulate gas drilling in the following ways:
- Road use laws, to regulated heavy truck traffic
- Drilling pads
- mandatory set-backs from houses
- Pipeline related:
- Set max PSI to be 125 psi (the question is that the gas companies will claim they are installing 125 psi lines to avoid regulation, then increase pressure when no one is looking)
- mandatory pipeline set-backs from houses
- presently, they can be 2-4" deep. Pass laws that they must be 6-8" deep.
- Town planners and first responders must be present when pipelines are installed, and must be provide with maps showing pipeline locations
- Pressure of these lines must be inspectable 24x7