Thursday, August 3, 2017

FOIL / Freedom of Information Act Request / Back and Forth

Request for information to FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) under Freedom of Information Law (FOIL).


My original request: 27 July 2017
TO: FOIL Officer, Leonard Tao, Office of External Affairs

  1. I am seeking all correspondence between FERC and any of these corporate entities:

    XNG, Xpress Natural Gas, Direct Energy, Direct Energy Business

    between 2011 to the present, which relates to EITHER

    a) any NGA section 3 or section 7 jurisdictional questions about the operation of terminals to transport LNG or CNG by trucks, OR,

    b) any inquiries, correspondence or application for a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity from FERC, or to being a Prefile process for such, for operation of terminals to transport LNG or CNG by trucks
  2. I prefer electronic copies, originals as submitted to FERC
  3. I am willing to pay any reasonable fees, HOWEVER as I am a public interest researcher, I would ask for a waiver of fees.  
  4. My interest is as a citizen researcher, for public service journalism. I have worked as a researcher, videographer, and blogger in the public interest since 2010.
  5. As this relates to a critical and current public safety investigation, I am requesting expedited processing
Best Regards,
William Huston
WilliamAHuston@gmail.com
My second request 3 Aug 2017
From: William Huston <williamahuston@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 3, 2017 1:07 AM
To: FOIA-CEII
Subject: FOIL / Freedom of Information Act Request #2 8/3/2017

TO: FOIL Officer, Leonard Tao, Office of External Affairs
  1. I am seeking all correspondence between FERC and any of these corporate entities:

    NG Advantage, Clean Energy, Clean Energy Fuels

    between 2011 to the present, which relates to EITHER

    a) any NGA section 3 or section 7 jurisdictional questions about the operation of terminals to transport LNG or CNG by trucks, OR,

    b) any inquiries, correspondence or application for a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity from FERC, or to being a Prefile process for such, for operation of terminals to transport LNG or CNG by trucks

  2. I prefer electronic copies, originals as submitted to FERC

  3. I am willing to pay any reasonable fees, HOWEVER as I am a public interest researcher, I would ask for a waiver of fees.  

  4. My interest is as a citizen researcher, for public service journalism. I have worked as a researcher, videographer, and blogger in the public interest since 2010.

  5. As this relates to a critical and current public safety investigation, I am requesting expedited processing
Best Regards,
William Huston
WilliamAHuston@gmail.com
FERC's reply 3 Aug, 2017:
Mr. Huston
Please be advised that the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission is an independent agency that regulates the interstate transmission of electricity, natural gas, and oil. FERC also reviews proposals to build liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminals and interstate natural gas pipelines as well as licensing hydropower projects. The Energy Policy Act of 2005 gave FERC additional responsibilities as outlined and updated Strategic Plan.  FERC does not regulate Compressed Natural Gas nor handle the operation of terminals to transport LNG or CNG by trucks.   http://www.ferc.gov/
http://www.ferc.gov/about/ferc-does.asp


The type of information that you are seeking may be available at US Department of Transportation, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration or the Department of Energy. For your convenience we are providing the links to these Federal Agencies: 

  • DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION /Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration 
https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/
DOT/PHMSA FOIA
https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/about/foia


  • DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY
Department of Energy /FOIA REQUEST
https://energy.gov/management/office-management/operational-management/freedom-information-act
If you have additional questions regarding matters handled by FERC, please do not hesitate to contact the FOIA/CEII Service Center at foia-ceii@ferc.gov(202) 502-6088 or contact me directly at (202) 502-8389.

                                        Sincerely,
 Toyia Johnson
Toyia Johnson
Office of External Affairs
FOIA Public Liaison
Phone:  (202) 502-8389Toll Free: 1-866-208-3372
Online FOIA & CEII request forms: http://www.ferc.gov/legal/ceii-foia.asp

NOTICE: This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipients and may contain information that is classified as privileged, CEII or otherwise protected from disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and delete the original message and attachments from your computer and other electronic devices.

My response 3 Aug, 2017:
Hi Toyia,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it is not legally responsive.

Please have a look at 5 U.S. Code § 552. "Public information; agency rules, opinions, orders, records, and proceedings" (Freedom of Information Law). 

This law places certain duties upon you in terms of a) time limits for a response, b) assignment of a tracking number, and c) acceptable ways that you are obligated to reply.

For example, you can give me the records I request.
Or, you can deny my request, citing certain exemptions.
Or, you can ask for more time.

However, you have done none of these things.
In two different FOIL requests for records,
I asked for "correspondence between FERC" and several different
business entities. (See the original requests for the list of business nams)
Instead of granting me these records, or denying my request, or asking for more time, you instead answered a *jurisdictional question*.

There are several problems with this.

  • You have given me an *interpretation* of the law.
  • I do not believe your opinion on such matters is legally binding.
  • This is not what I asked for.
Respectfully, can you please either

a) give me the records I have requested
b) deny my request citing a reason allowable under law, or
c) ask for an extension following the deadlines defined by statute.

Best Regards,
Bill Huston


No comments: